August 18, 2007

Grilled Ribeye Steaks with Corn on the Cob and Fresh Tomatoes


While the grouper was defrosting, it was a comfortable mid-August night in Miami and another chance for that elusive perfect steak. Normally, we save the grilling for our winter months, but last night we took advantage of the low humidity and did some grillin' and chillin'. I had one ripe tomato left from our trip to the panhandle last weekend, some fresh corn and a couple of nice ribeyes. Nothing fancy here, I just rubbed a little bit of olive oil and salt and pepper onto the steaks. I sauteed some mushrooms and onions in butter on the stovetop. I prepared the corn by removing the husks and wrapping them individually in aluminum foil with a small pat of butter and a teaspoon of water in each. Those went on the grill first- on the indirect heat, for approximately 45 minutes. Next, the steaks- first searing them for 2-3 minutes on each side and then moving them to indirect heat for about 6-7 minutes, until an inserted thermometer read 137 degrees. While letting those sit, I sliced the tomatoes, salt and peppered each slice and drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.



Everthing certainly looked good, and we were hungry and dug right in. The tomatoes were the best part of the meal- there is nothing like a fresh ripe tomato- which, I repeat so often here, is impossible to find in Miami. The corn was not great. We have the same problem here with corn that we do with tomatoes, except for one thing- the corn looks fresh in the package, so you never know until you cook it whether or not it's good. Another reason we are looking forward to our Pittsburgh trip next weekend is because of all the farm produce that is in season now in the Northeast. All those years living in Philadelphia, I was so spoiled by the Jersey corn and tomatoes that by this time of the summer, I was almost tired of them.

As an aside, I thought I would mention the most amazing summer Jersey veggie of all, the lima bean, or pole beans as the road-side stands advertise them. If you ever thought you didn't like limas, these will change your mind. In late summer, for a very short period of time, they're in season. You open the pods, pop out the beans, and quick boil them for a few minutes until tender, but not too tender. Stir in some butter and fresh dill and you have one of the foods of the Gods...oh, why am I torturing myself so??

Back to the steak, it was well-marbled, grain fed and all of that good stuff- but something was missing. I don't know what- it didn't even slice nicely, it wasn't very tender and the taste was so-so. Ribeyes are usually a sure-bet, but lately, I don't know what is going on. Tonight I am looking forward to fish and chips made with Roy's fresh catch and yukon gold potatoes, so check back later this weekend...and the eggs.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yumm! I LOVE ribeyes! Looks great!