September 25, 2007

Wienerschnitzel




German food is one of my favorites, and this weinerschnitzel is easy, and fast enough to make on a weeknight. Pound some veal cutlets. Salt and pepper them.



Dredge them in flour.



Give them a quick bath in an egg and milk mixture.



Pop them in some breadcrumbs.



Fry them over medium heat in 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil for a couple of minutes on each side. Wait until the pan gets hot to start!



It is best not to overcrowd the pan, so I did two at a time, drained them on paper towels, and popped them in the oven (preheated to 200 degrees) just to keep them warm. I served them with artichokes and leftover pasta, but you can really use any side dish you like. If this had been a weekend, I would have made sauerkraut and maybe some spatzle- you might be able to find spatzle in the international foods section of your grocery store. I was looking for a quick fix, and this was the perfect opportunity to use my new artichoke serve ware. Another spur-of-the-moment, yet delicious, dinner saved the day...and the eggs.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

HEY - Wait a minute. Those are MY hands in the pictures!!!!!

Arties32 said...

Okay..so sometimes the lines between "I" and "we" get a little blurred. It was delicious in any case :)

Anonymous said...

That is like my FAVORITE thing - I loves me some Wienerschnitzel - now I must have some too. The plate looks great - sorry there weren't two - I promise I wasn't being cheap - they only had one plate - I hope it is condusive to sharing! It looks beautiful.

Arties32 said...

It was perfect for sharing, and my, oh my, you can spell condusive?? Is that really you? :) I love you, and I hope you make some schnitzel soon. Maybe HNS would like that.

Arties32 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I had to learn to spell some fancy words before becoming one of Richmond's Top 40! The issue is coming out tomorrow. I just love finding ways to slip that into casual conversation.

Chef Jeena said...

Hi there you have a great blog,lovely recipes. Feel free to visit my blog too :)

Jeena xx

Click Here For Food Recipes

Unknown said...

Oh I love Wienerschnitzel - this looks so good. And I LOVE the Artichoke serveware. Unique stuff like that is fun to have and show off to guests!

Anonymous said...

Yum yum! One of my favourites (I have a weakness for deep fried foods...)!

Anonymous said...

That schnitzel looks great. I know for sure it is. Oh, and it would be CONDUCIVE to an excellent Oktoberfest party, but we've only a few days left
Love you guys

Arties32 said...

oops. i thought that looked funny. :(

Anonymous said...

Oh - whatever!

Aisling said...

It's been years since I've had proper Shnitzel. Although if I were to make it these days I would probably choose to make them from a different meat because of the ethics concerned in veal production.

Arties32 said...

I suspected the veal issue might come up. I (obviously)have no problem with the ethics concerned in veal production. I do respect people who have that concern. Thank you for your comment.