September 2, 2007

Chocolate Chip Cookies!

I can't make my first impression with only one kind of cookie, so I also asked my mother for her chocolate chip cookie recipe. I have never had another chocolate chip cookie with this exact taste, and want to impress my new co-workers (see last post, below).

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (I used a little less)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips



Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Beat shortening and butter for 30 seconds on medium to high speed. Add brown and granulated sugar, baking soda and salt and beat until combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much as the flour as you can with the mixer, and stir in the rest with a wooden spoon. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden on top.

These cookies are fantastic. You can taste the brown sugar in the dough and the dark chocolate chips add extra decadence.

You might find it corny or just plain pathetic that I am going to such lengths to make friends at work. This is a good time for a story.

My brother is the Media Relations Director for a professional basketball team. About 10 years ago, his team played in the city where my mother lives, and she went to the game with bags laden with tins of cookies. At some point during the game, she sent the cookies back for the staff, the team and the coaches. I thought my brother would die of embarrassment, but if he did, he never told me about it. The next day, everyone knew the "new guy's" name, thanks to "Jon's mom". It has become a tradition, and each year my mother shows up at that game with cookies in hand. They love her cookies. They look forward to that game because they know cookies are coming. It worked for him, and I hope it works for me...and the eggs.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenn,
Your cookies look lots prettier than mine. Mine are never evenly shaped.
Your story is true, except that I don't think the team ever ate them-except maybe one time when their charter didn't show, and they had to wait hors at the airport to get on planes, and that may have been the only food avaible!
I will send you my favorites that I made for Jon's old co-workers here last season, and they loved them. (Pecan cookies with a praline center1)
(:

Anonymous said...

It is true. They call him "scratch" and her "Mama Scratch". And I brought a box of expensive,pretty chocolate to my first interview for the job I am in now. It couldn't have hurt, right??
The cookies look great. What a nice idea. It will be months until they figure out your true charater. ;)

Arties32 said...

I hope I can distract them with the food long enough for that to take years :)

Anonymous said...

Did it work? Why didn't you use this tactic to win me over at Ballard? Here I was your friend simply because you were "nothin but nice."

Arties32 said...

Yes and no. I didn't have as many takers as I expected, but I did enjoy the visitors I did have. I do think they'll remember me.

Um, it was on you to make the cookies when you were new at Ballard. Not on me. I liked you anyway, but I would have liked you more if you tried to win me over with cookies. ;)

Anonymous said...

magnifiques cookies!!

Ginette said...

Great cookies, I will bake it for Christmas, for sure!!!

Arties32 said...

Great idea, I think I'll be making them again, too. Let me know how they turn out!

Ginette said...

They turn out JUST GREAT !!! Congratulations to your mother and you for such a great recipe !!! It will be one of our favorites from now on. Yaammmmyyyyy ! Itâs posted on my blog at:
http://ginuca27.blogspot.com/2007/12/fursecuri-cu-ciocolata-chocolate-chip.html

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !