July 15, 2007


Homestead, Florida. Sunday morning at the market. Only a few miles from our house-- we go monthly to buy produce and eat authentic Mexican food. There are many different sized restaurants scattered throughout, most with tables and chairs- all outdoors.




We walked around, looked at t-shirts and cowboy hats and then got down to business.





Beautiful, ripe produce- more variety than you will find at any local grocery store, and you can't beat the prices. I bought 2 eggplants, bags of poblano peppers, jalapeno peppers, three varieties of dried peppers and a cauliflower and it all cost under $6. We finished shopping just in time for lunch!

We ate at the spot pictured below, which was essentially a glorified lunch truck under a large tent with plastic tables and chairs underneath. On one side of the truck was the kitchen, and on the other side, women stood with huge bowls of dough, presses and a griddle making everything from corn taco shells to tostadas.


After we ordered, our waitress brought us a tray of garnishes and a bottle of hot sauce.

Our food came, and we dug in! We had pork tacos, a taco salad, enchiladas, chicken gorditas and a cheese quesadilla.







To say today was extremely hot would be an understatement, and our 15 year old guests weren't as enthusiastic about the experience as they would have been about South Beach or CocoWalk, but they were troopers (I'm just being nice, I had to remind them that they are young and resilient and finally had to tell one of them to "suck it up", they might never see anything like this again). At least I hope they were enriched by this unique cultural experience. I kept reminding them that we are going to Universal Studios in Orlando at the end of next week, and that it will be just as hot there so this is good practice!

Well, I scored with the produce and am planning to make stuffed poblano and jalapeno peppers tonight. I'll be the first to admit that I, too, was looking forward to coming home to jump in the pool, so I'd better get going. It looks like I was the "rotten egg"...and the eggs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man! This looks like good food!
love and hugs,
(:ma
ps I just ate my tired leftovers from last night's dinner at Cactus Cantina.

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable! That produce is beautiful. It puts our sad little Safeway stuff to shame.....