July 7, 2007

Finger Food

Belgian-style frites are easy to make and the kids love 'em. Once in awhile, they're a great treat. First, slice yukon gold potatoes into strips- I use a mandoline to make them uniform in shape- mine were approximately 1/4" thick. Next, soak them in cold water for at least an hour to de-starch the potatoes.
Next, dry well with paper towels because any water will create splatters. Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 340 degrees, fry them for 6 minutes. Remove and drain.
When the oil comes back up to temperature, fry them a second time for 2-3 minutes for maximum crispness- we like them crispy!! Our guests like them with salt and vinegar, but you can make a multitude of sauces - one of my favorites is an ancho chili aioli. I wish I had a photo of the finished frites, but they went so fast I didn't have a chance. I did, however, get a shot of the girls downing them!
My partner made braised baby back ribs (we had those on the side- ha!). The ribs are super tender and just falling off the bone. I don't have the exact recipe, maybe she'll do a guest post one of these days and tell you. She has won a cook-off with this rib recipe!

Tomorrow we are looking forward to snorkeling in the Keys, and a seafood dinner! I could get used to this- maybe the girls can stay here :) ...and the eggs.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, first I have to say: CONGRATULATIONS!! on your Royal Foodie Joust Win!!

And those fries look soooo yummy right now.

And I'm so jealous of your snorkeling in the Keys. I'm a diver and I'd love to join you! :)

Arties32 said...

Christine- we live an hour away from Islamorada which is where we went to snorkel. We're amateurs but had so much fun trying. Thank you for your congrats- I was so excited!!

Thistlemoon said...

Hi Jennifer! This looks scrumptious! Man do I love frites AND ribs! such good stuff! Hope you enjoy your time in the keys - I really want to get down there someday!

Arties32 said...

Thank you, Jenn! We had a blast in the keys- and CONGRATULATIONS to you on your engagement!!!
:)