July 14, 2007

A Face Only A Mother Could Love



The best meal I have ever had was at the Coconut Grove restaurant French Kiss Terrasse. It was the most perfectly cooked grouper in a slightly creamy sauce with a hint of curry. Now, I usually remember what and where I ate before I remember who I was even with, but I couldn't tell you what the side dishes were for this meal. All I remember is the melt-in-your-mouth, unbelievably flavorful, rich-but-not-too-rich taste of the grouper. I never tried to recreate that dish, but I do make a mean fried grouper.

The second best meal I have ever had was in Pittsburgh at the home of my in-laws. They made cabbage rolls, and we had fresh corn on the cob and tomatoes too. It was August, and the vegetables were in the peak of their season. At the time, I had lived in Florida without good corn or tomatoes for 2 years. That was one of those times that I ate too much- but I couldn't resist!

I'd like to hear about the best meals you have ever had, whether at home or in a restaurant. During these short periods of not cooking, I think about past meals I have loved and about new things I can make myself. Please share...and the eggs.

10 comments:

ley said...

Best meal? Hmm. Even though you have an "I hate cilantro" link, which therefore means you're unworthy of my attention (just kidding!), I'll share:

One of my best meals was at Truco 7, in Guanajuato. I had a "torta de pollo, sin aguacate," with a glass of jamaica juice (and as I go back, now that I'm not like 16, I order it WITH the avocado). It was crazy-simple, but that was about 7 years ago that I had my first Truco 7 sandwich, and I crave it STILL.

There was also this one Thanksgiving that, and all us kids agree, had the best food ever (we even just call it "that Thanksgiving with the really good food), but as we didn't have anything different than our normal Thanksgiving fare, I couldn't tell you what made it so good. So that was a kind of pointless addition to my comment. Sorry 'bout that. I get carried away.

Arties32 said...

Thank you for sharing- about Thanksgiving, sometimes it's the family that makes it all taste so wonderful :)

Anonymous said...

The cabbage rolls are made and in the freezer. The corn and tomatos will be here fresh and ready to eat

Arties32 said...

WOO HOOO!!!!! ..and thank you!!

Anonymous said...

One of the best meals I have had was at Bistro Du Coin in Washington DC. I had roasted duck breast with twice fried Pommes de terre frites (which were basically french fries). It was simple and outstanding. I'm not very good at picking wine, so I asked the waiter and he recommended a French red that was amazing. It all went together so well, and I always order it whenever I go.

Another dish I always remember is "Hunk-a-steak" at the now defunct Intermission in Norfolk. I don't know what they marinated that sucker in, but the steak always came out tender and juicy and full of flavor. I don't even think it was that choice a cut.

Arties32 said...

Sparki- My dad would LOVE the duck breast. I went to a great French Bistro in Georgetown a several years back with someone! Was either my mom or my friend Ed. I don't remember the name of it, but it was very good. I LOVED the "Hunk-a-steak" at the Intermission!! They also had it stuffed. We had that together many times! I agree, must have been a cheap cut but very marinated. It was always tasty!

Anonymous said...

They had food at the Internission? All I remember were the the fuzzy navels - But I gave those up after I turned 21 and puked in Sparki's car.
My favorite meals ..was one in DC too - It was at a restaurant near the white house called Equinox and Steve and I went one night because a friend of mine is the manager. We could never in a MILLION years had afforded this meal. My friend sat us right away at a beautiful table (while other folks were waiting) and what came next was really more of a dining event than a meal. Every course - and things we did not even order came to our table with different wines. I know I can speak for Steve when I say we felt famous that night.
Second fvorite meal was at The Lawry in Chicago. Great Prime Rib carved table side. My friend Al and I were seated right next to Ozzy and Sharon Ozbourne - they were very nice too!

Anonymous said...

sorry about all the typo's Chicky!

Unknown said...

best meal I've had - see the osso buco recipe - EXCELLENT :)

Anonymous said...

I've been to Equinox as well, and can vouch for the exquisite meal, amazing service, and wonderful atmosphere. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly what I ordered due to the amount of wine I consumed. (Which, by the way, was also excellent!)