May 30, 2007

Italian Weekend



No, we didn't spend the weekend abroad. We spent it enjoying the new flat-screen television we installed in the backyard near the pool. Maybe it was The Sopranos marathon which, as it subconsciously poked at our bellies, hypnotized us to crave pasta. Sunday night we had spaghetti bolognese. The sauce takes a full day to cook and is flavored with pork ribs- it's the tastiest sauce we've made yet. We added meatballs made with ground pork and ground beef. Monday evening, we had chicken marsala. A friend at work gave me the recipe (I had never made marsala anything). It was okay, it was on the rich side and I didn't see the point to the chicken. I think I would use veal if I made it again...or make it meatless. (I can't say vegetarian because there is chicken stock used in the preparation of the sauce). It tasted best without chicken on the fork- just the sauce, fettucine and mushrooms made a savory combo.
I guess I should check the TV Guide this weekend to decide what to buy at the grocery store...and the eggs.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I make really great Chicken Marsala - I will make it for you when I visit and you will understand why the chicken should be included.

Anonymous said...

Well, the Miss Universe pageant was just on, and one of the judges was Michelle Kwan, and the winner was from Japan, so I'm thinking maybe something Asian?

Arties32 said...

Asian food is a possibility! I could do an homage to Arthur and Kitty who are touring China at this very moment. I'll have to consult the cookbooks. It's supposed to be rainy here all weekend, so maybe a few dishes to nosh on over the two days.
Sparrrki... I'll never forget when you made making deviled eggs into performance art. It was beautiful.

Arties32 said...

No Asian- we changed our whole minds! The weather is supposed to bring us a tropical storm, so comfort food is in order. I'm making chili and TLMM is making the best cornbread recipe ever. For dessert, Old-Fashioned Bread Pudding. Mmmm good.

Anonymous said...

Bread Pudding! Yum! Recipe please.....