December 22, 2007

Marilyn Moon's Ginger Cookies!!


Nothing makes the house smell quite as nice as baking ginger cookies, especially at this time of year!

Marilyn Moon's Ginger Cookies:

3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt



Melt shortening and let cool. Mix sugar, molasses and egg. Beat well. Add cooled shortening. Sift together flour, baking soda, cloves, ginger, cinnamon, salt. Add to sugar mixure. Mix well. Chill dough. Make 1 inch balls. Roll in sugar and place 2" apart on cookie sheet.



Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes. Bring Beth some.

That's the recipe- word for word! I doubled it and had plenty for a crowd. You will really start to smell the spices when you sift them in with the flour.

The smell of the cloves triggered a vivid memory for me. As a child, we would celebrate Havdahlah (a tiny short service marking the end of the Jewish Sabbath) on the beach in Padre Island, Texas. As part of that service, a spice box is passed around, and everyone smells it and thinks about the week to come. Now, all these years later, I realize that my father put cloves in the spice box. Until today, I always thought that the havdahlah spices were magical, mystical in some way. Not that there's anything wrong with cloves!



The other funny thing about that memory is that I remembered it as I was making Christmas cookies, but that's a story for either another blog or for my psychoanalyst...and the eggs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is Hilarious! Wait...it was the early 70's. Are you sure it was just cloves in that box?
Also - I Love that Marilyn ended the recepe with " give Beth some." I think that could almost take the place of "and the eggs" at the end of every entry!

Emily said...

They're very pretty.

I like Marilyn Moon. She can make a mean batch of cookies.