November 26, 2008

Pumpkin Cookies!



Bake up a batch of these, it's easy, quick and the kids love 'em! I have seen a few recipes for pumpkin cookies, but decided to use Marilyn Moon's recipe since it has been tried and tested through a few generations!  

Follow the directions on her card, above, as I did!  I made a simple butter frosting and frosted half of the cookies.



Sift flour, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.  Cream sugar, crisco and eggs.  Add vanilla and pumpkin.  


Add flour mixture a bit at a time.  Mix well.  You can add chocolate chips (baby or regular size) at this point if desired.



Drop spoonfuls on greased cookie sheet.  We used a tablespoon amount of dough.



Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.



We doubled the recipe and made enough to fill a large and a small tin.  Freeze what you don't plan to use within a day or two- it keeps the cookies fresh.  I iced half of them with the following simple butter frosting recipe:

1/3 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound (3 1/2 cups) sifted confectioners sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons milk  

Frost after cookies have cooled completely. Let the cookies sit on the counter for a few minutes until frosting hardens.

Happy Thanksgiving...and the eggs.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another yummy-looking recipe! Can't wait to try it.... Thanks TLMMM (The Lovely Ms. Moon's Mom)!

Sparki

Arties32 said...

Ha! We'll have to call her TLMMM :) Thank you. Hope you are seeing PegLeg and DQ Dave and the gang for the holiday and if you are, travel safely and hugs and kisses. Leave some nice bread slices out for the dean - xoxo

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid, my sister asked my mom to make pumpkin cookies for her Halloween party. My mom stayed up long after we had gone to bed to make a recipe like this for her. When my sister woke up the next day, she was horrified because she had meant pumpkin-shaped cut-out sugar cookies!

I like these cookies though and they are easier to make than cut-out sugar cookies. :)

Arties32 said...

Great story, amieable. Thank you for sharing it here!

Suzanne said...

You inspired me to add leftover pumpkin to pancake mix last night. I also added cinnamon and nutmeg. The kids gobbled up (ha ha) the pancakes.

Arties32 said...

Suzanne- the pancakes sound great. We had blueberry buckwheat pancakes for breakfast on Thanksgiving- they were mmmm delish!!

Anonymous said...

Did you use canned pumpkin or fresh? I made pumpkin fries tonight. I've got some leftover pumpkin. Might give these a try. I can almost smell them.

Arties32 said...

We used canned. It was regular canned pumpkin -not pie filling. Good luck! Hope you like it!