October 18, 2007

Spicy Peanut Chicken Kabobs


Our good old Weber kettle charcoal grill finally gave up on us. It just broke due to being outside in the South Florida elements. We did some research and decided on a new grill. It's different from any other grill we've had because it doesn't use charcoal or lava rocks or anything. It's marketed as a restaurant type grill, and you are supposed to cook on it by searing for 2 minutes a side and then turning the temp down to low to finish the food off. So far, it has worked like a charm.

For a quick meal popping with flavor, slice boneless, skinless chicken breasts into small-ish pieces and marinate in OTS (off-the-shelf) peanut sauce. If you have a good recipe for peanut sauce, make your own! It would probably be even better. Add your own heat- I added some chili oil, hot pepper flakes and some peanuts, too. I let it marinate for at least 1 hour. I also had zucchini and onion to use up, so I sliced that up and marinated it another container with the same sauce. Soak some wooden skewers, and in an hour, you're ready to fire up the grill.

I followed the instructions and seared on two sides for two minutes each. I then turned the heat down to low and let it cook for 8-10 minutes. After coming off the grill, and sitting for 5 minutes (lightly covered in foil), everything was done to perfection. The chicken was most yet cooked through, and the vegetables were just like we love 'em.


We had some brown rice with this- if you mixed everything together, it made a great rice bowl. You could use any side dish you like. If you don't have a grill, you could also do these in the oven, but you won't get that pyro instant gratification, or that extra yummy taste that the grill provides. Try it, you'll like it...and the eggs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This dish looks great. The grill looks awesome. Please tell the ever so lovely TLMM hello for me and her dish looked great also. Oh yeah, one more thing--GO STEELERS!

Arties32 said...

I'm not sure whether to say thank you or not!! The Steelers are doing very well on their own. I know I'm "it" in phone tag, but I chose to ignore the final words of your message, COLLEEN!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This grill looks fabulous as well as the food you cooked!
(:

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how jealous I am. But I am way jel-jel of the new grill. XO